Run by Sam Amps, a PADI Course Director and AIDA Freedive Instructor Trainer who has been training Freedivers and Freediving Instructors through AIDA and PADI since 2003, this Workshop is designed for Instructors who are new to teaching freediving or would like to refresh their skills.
Busier workshops will also be supported by UK Team Athlete Liv Philip. Originally trained at Saltfree, Liv is an AIDA Master Instructor, a PADI Staff Instructor and has been the UK’s female freedive champion every year from 2007-14!
This one-day workshop will introduce you to the practicalities of teaching freediving – from setting up ropes and platforms, to organising a pool session and ensuring your students are safe throughout. We’ll also talk through ideas for marketing the new PADI Freedive programmes and show you all the kit you will need to give them the most from their courses. The schedule for the day will include:
- Classroom – Review of the PADI Freediving Programmes
- Classroom – Discussion of considerations for teaching Freediving in Open Water
- SaltFree Training Pontoon (dry) – Demonstration and practice of set up for teaching in Open Water including teaching from a platform or boat, and teaching from a buoy, introduction to counterweight systems and fishfinder sonar, discussion of freediving school equipment needs and introduction to other safety equipment. Warm, waterproof clothes will be needed but, in the winter months, this session will NOT involve getting in the water!
- Pool – Confined Water session to look at common problems when teaching Static Apnea and Dynamic Apnea and issues around managing pool training.
- Classroom – Risk Management discussion to highlight key risks and mitigation when teaching Freediving Programmes.
- Classroom – Introduction to Marketing Freediving Programmes. Sam is a Charterer Marketer as well as a Freediver, so this should be helpful in helping you generate ideas for promoting your courses.
During the day, and following the programme there will also be plenty of opportunities to ask your own questions about teaching freediving and apply what you learn to your own environments.
Anyone who has attended this workshop and is a current, insured freediving instructor would also be permitted to rent space on the SaltFree training platform to run courses for their own groups upon satisfactory completion.
This workshop will run on the 12 March (Pool and Theory Only – £225) and 9/10 April 2016 (Pool, Theory and Open Water – £375). To book your place, please complete the booking form on this page or email us..
Once the weather warms up, we will also offer a full weekend package with the workshop on Saturday and a chance to dive and practise skills in the lake on Sunday.